Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: 511E somebody buy them

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member
    511E somebody buy them


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: 511E somebody buy them

    I honestly think they are E's I just looked at them again. But better to err on the side of caution.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  2. #12
    HB Super Moderator
    511E somebody buy them


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 511E somebody buy them

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    I honestly think they are E's I just looked at them again. But better to err on the side of caution.

    He said he is going to list them again this time with better pics and if I would like to buy them after he does that will be fine so I will be looking to see much better pics.So hope isn't lost yet. Regards

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: 511E somebody buy them

    Just to be clear:
    I have a set of 511B's and a set of 511E's...
    The 511E is a 511B with the following modifications:
    1) the 511E's throat is cut back
    2) the hanger rings moved
    3) a different mounting plate

    If the 511's this guy has are cut to the right length...
    they will function exactly as 511E's if cleaned up.
    If you want original issue...that's another thing.

  4. #14
    HB Super Moderator
    511E somebody buy them


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 511E somebody buy them

    Does anyone have close-up pics of an actual Altec 511E not a 511B modified, that they could post, especially of the mounting flange and where the flange is welded to the throat of the horn.And maybe even a measurement from the back of the horn mounting flange to the back of driver mounting flange.This should shed some light on this topic.As this seems to have been debateded for sometime Thank You in Advance for any help provided Thanks Regards !!!

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 511E somebody buy them

    I don't know what he's using to take pictures, but they're awful. He still doesn't have a decent picture of the other side of the flange. Price went up, too....... if the one was modified well, though, I suppose it's still a good price.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  6. #16
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: 511E somebody buy them

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Does anyone have close-up pics of an actual Altec 511E not a 511B modified, that they could post, especially of the mounting flange and where the flange is welded to the throat of the horn.And maybe even a measurement from the back of the horn mounting flange to the back of driver mounting flange.This should shed some light on this topic.As this seems to have been debateded for sometime Thank You in Advance for any help provided Thanks Regards !!!
    Oh c'mon...did you do a search on this forum?
    And find someone who is really debating this...perhaps only old altec literature which is
    notoriously bad...especially during the "anything goes" 70s...
    But okay...I told you I have both sets....511Bs and 511Es...
    Re-read the previous post on differences...
    ...here's the pics I posted previously here:
    http://www.superbadcat.com/images/ne...altec511e1.jpg
    http://www.superbadcat.com/images/ne...altec511e2.jpg
    http://www.superbadcat.com/images/ne...altec511e3.jpg

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: 511E somebody buy them

    Looking at the relisted horns...question...it looks like the throats protrude the flange...or is that a gasket?
    Anyway...on the modded listing you can see the throat is as rough as Joe Torre's beard, at least as bad as the set I bought.

  8. #18
    Senior Hostboard Member
    511E somebody buy them


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: 511E somebody buy them

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mac View Post
    Ya know...looking at the relisted "supposed" 511E I notice his throat is protruding the flange significantly. That's bizarre...if you look at pic 2 of the pics I linked...it's perfectly flush. ???? Or is that a gasket? I looked at the other one and it looks like a gasket too...hmmmm
    I noticed that. And it makes me think even more that both of the eBay horns are "E"s.

    Old multicell throats had the protrusion. I suspect Altec sacrificed a set of multicell throats and made that pair. I cannot imagine somebody doing that in the field.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  9. #19
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 511E somebody buy them

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    I noticed that. And it makes me think even more that both of the eBay horns are "E"s.
    I saw it too........ that's the one thing runs counter to me thinking that one of the horns is a non-factory modified 511B. I think I'd have to examine the horns up close before I was fully sure either way.

    Another thing I noticed is that one horn has 4 holes and the other has 5 holes. I see Steve's have 4 holes.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  10. #20
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 511E somebody buy them

    No Altec stickers?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.